Every year I say to myself “I’m going to read more. I’m going to read better books.” Then I set up a reading plan that’s completely unsuited to my busy schedule. Of course, after a couple of weeks I’ve given up and gone back to my old habits. If you’re like me, you might want to read this short article on the weblog Book Group Buzz. It’s got some really good suggestions for following through with your plans.
Here’s a quick summary of the article:
- We all try to sneak a little reading in here and there, but we should try reading for longer periods occasionally.
- Try reading something new. Pick out a new author, or genre. You might be surprised what you find.
- Read one of the classics ever now and then. I’m determined to finish Virgil’s Aeneid this year.
- Sample some of the new writers. If everyone’s talking about them, it’s probably for a reason.
- I like to read books that are parts of series, but I jump around a lot and seldom read all of the books. I’m going to make an effort to finish one series in order this year.
Take a look at some of the comments others have made about this article. A lot of them have some really good ideas. If you have some ideas of your own, send them to me through this sites Contact page and I’ll add them here. I’m sorry that comments aren’t working right now. I hope to have the problem fixed soon.